The American Bald Eagle Foundation is currently seeking a museum curator
The American Bald Eagle Foundation is a natural history museum and raptor center located in Haines, Alaska. The ABEF aims to further the conservation of the bald eagle and its habitat through education and stewardship. The natural history museum explores the diverse wildlife found in Southeast Alaska with over 200 taxidermied specimens, interactive displays, and a large diorama. In a typical year, the ABEF welcomes around 20,000 visitors who we hope to educate and inspire through fun and interesting natural history.
The museum curator will manage the natural history collection housed and displayed at the ABEF using PastPerfect. They will develop new content for marketing, programming, and educational purposes. At times they will present natural history information to visitors. The curator will also perform the annual museum clean, write grants for museum improvement, update organization policies and help manage seasonal interns.
This position is a full-time, salaried opportunity with temporary housing available. The work schedule will shift between the tourism season (40-50 hours) and off season (30 hours). Starting salary will be $40,000 with two weeks paid time off.
Due to COVID-19 work will begin as a work-from-home, quarantined position, if arriving from out-of-town. Once a two week quarantine is complete work will be socially-distanced with your own office, masks will be required.
Interested individuals should email a résumé, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Any questions can be directed to (907) 766-3094 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Manage the natural history collections housed and displayed at the ABEF
- Develops educational content for marketing, programming, and interpretation
- Perform annual collections clean
- Occasionally present natural history information to visitors
- Participate in policy updates
- Manage the collection catalog with PastPerfect
- Write grants for museum improvements
- Manage seasonal interns
- Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies/Zoology/History or related field
- Museum experience
- Comfortable with natural history collections including taxidermy animals
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, climb ladders, comfortable with some physical work
- Self-motivated, disciplined, and organized
- Flexible to help as needed with other duties as assigned
- Strong communication skills
- Master’s degree in Museum Studies/Education
- Taxidermy experience
- Programming experience
- Familiarity with Alaskan wildlife
- Construction experience
- Experience with PastPerfect
- Grant writing experience